Web Design Tasks
|This page or section is outdated in one or more areas. Possible discussion may be found on the talk page. Please update to reflect current information.|
This page contains ideas for fixes and improvements to the design and structure of WineHQ. This includes all of the sub-sites such as Bugzilla and the wiki.
For a list of actual writing tasks, see Web Content Tasks.
Across All Sites
- Fixing some open bugs for WineHQ always helps
- Move static web pages to the wiki.
- Ensure compliance to the latest (x)html spec.
- Update legacy PHP code to modern standards (PHP7)
- Some sort of picture would look snazzy in the upper right of the About page
Test and Status Pages
- We dropped all of the old manually updated status reports, but it would be pretty cool (and helpful) if we could have more automated ones
- Examples we already have are API stats and translation progress
- Could we sick one or two of the Wine TestBot VMs, or do a rotation between distro images, to report build errors?
- Maybe another one could rotate through Static Analysis tools and our own scripts to check Code Hygiene?
- The existing Conformance Tests provide one good measure of runtime errors
- We could also mine Bugzilla and use open bugs as a second estimate of logic errors
- Use a scripted version of git shortlog by DLL to report current workers? (could be useful for new developers wondering who to contact about specific features)
- We could bring it all together into a fancy report page
- Highlight the DLLs with the most failed/missing tests and bugs as priority DLLs?
- We could possibly use an existing library for graphs & such (like D3.js?)
Our official policy is to not accept patches to upstream code like MediaWiki. If you're interested in making changes that touch code from MediaWiki proper, you can still help us (and many others) out by contributing them upstream. Improvements to any templates or code we overlay ourselves are always welcome though.
- A good place to start would be to fix some of the many open bugs for the AppDB
- Also check the AppDB ToDo List.
Our official policy is to not accept patches to upstream code like Bugzilla; you can still help us (and other Bugzilla users) if you try introducing your improvements upstream. Improvements to any templates or code we overlay ourselves (like in template/ for instance) are always welcome though..
- A good place to start is by fixing some of the open bugs for Bugzilla.
- Open up more to allow for more thorough triage?
- Some improvements to the interface?
- I think Bugzilla has provided ajax capabilities for a while; we may just need to tweak our templates and config to use them.
Our official policy is to not accept patches to upstream code like phpBB. If you contribute those improvements upstream though, they should work their way to us when we update. Improvements to any templates or code we overlay ourselves are always welcome though.
- Enable some kind of bot to crawl for useful info? (ambitious perhaps)
- Store it in structured form?