regedit is Wine's registry editor, similar in appearance and function to Window's regedit. When invoked as `wine regedit` with no arguments, the program runs in GUI mode.
Note: Although Wine stores the registry as text files (specifically $WINEPREFIX/*.reg), you should use the regedit tool for making changes to the registry, just like you would on Windows. This is because of, amongst other things, the special encoding used to store keys.
wine regedit filename wine regedit /E filename [regpath] wine regedit /D regpath filename - registry file name regpath - name of the registry key When called without any switches, adds the content of the specified file to the registry Switches: /E - exports contents of the specified registry key to the specified file. Exports the whole registry if no key is specified. /D - deletes specified registry key /S - silent execution, can be used with any other switch. Default. The only existing mode, exists for compatibility with Windows regedit. /V - advanced mode, can be used with any other switch. Ignored, exists for compatibility with Windows regedit. /L - location of system.dat file. Can be used with any other switch. Ignored. Exists for compatibility with Windows regedit. /R - location of user.dat file. Can be used with any other switch. Ignored. Exists for compatibility with Windows regedit. /? - print this help. Any other switches are ignored. /C - create registry from file. Not implemented. The switches are case-insensitive, can be prefixed either by '-' or '/'. This program is command-line compatible with Microsoft Windows regedit
User Keys Backup
The user can save whatever particular settings he/she wishes, in case of ~/.wine being removed or created on a new system.
For backing up software settings:
- Run regedit , navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, and click on the folder.
- Click Registry -> Export Registry File . Save as myoptions.reg but be sure to click the "Selected Branch" button before OK
- Or to combine multiple individual folders (in the HCU\Software dir) into a single .reg file:
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and click on the pertinent program's folder
- Click File -> Export , making sure the "Selected Branch" button is selected
- Save the files as myoptions.reg myoptions2.reg myoptions3.reg and so on, for each top-level folder
- In the terminal/console, cd to the directory of the saved files
- Run cat myoptions.reg myoptions2.reg myoptions3.reg > foo && cp foo myoptions.reg && rm foo
- Registry backup is finished! Restore the keys into the registry any time by running regedit myoptions.reg
- Useful Registry Keys -- a collection of registry keys for further tweaking of Wine