Tips & Tricks
- Developer Hints
- Tips for Vim users
- Commonly used functions
- Building Wine
- Running Wine under Valgrind
- Debug Channels
- A list of windows messages, by value
- The format of a ternary raster operation code
- Undocumented Windows 2000 Secrets: Updated PDF-Version and CD content (from the Author)
- Windows Graphics Programming: Win32 GDI and DirectDraw by Feng Yuan (Working at HP for Printer Drivers; Now at Microsoft for WPF and XPS)
These tutorials are aimed at people who know C and programming, but are just starting out with Wine development. They're meant to show you how to debug problems when apps don't work.
- Debugging Reason 3 - a simple "Unhandled exception" error message. Introduces debug tracing, the shell DLLs and SEH/exception tracing.
- Debugging PE Explorer - fixing a simple hang in the file open dialog (yet another shell bug). Introduces backtracing using winedbg and different types of result codes.
- Debugging Wild Metal Country - finding why a game crashes (due to DirectPlay) and how to confirm the bug.
- Fixing a tiny problem in the Common Controls hotkey control
- Tracking down speed problems in riched20
- Many bug reports by Anastasius Focht contain excellent descriptions of how he found the problem; see Focht's bug reports
Source Code Management
Wine development is done with GIT, see this page on how to do wine development with GIT.